We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Phlox (Phlox) found in almost every flower garden. They delight us with bright colors from spring to late autumn. At the same time, the plants are also incredibly fragrant, and caring for them is not difficult. Separately, it is worth noting the wide variety of species and varieties of flower.
Features of ground cover phlox
Ground cover, or creeping, varieties bloom earlier than others, since May. The main representatives of the species are adorable (Phlox amoena), awl-shaped (Phlox subulata), Douglas (Phlox douglasii) and forked (Phlox bifida) phlox. Unlike other varieties, groundcover plants have a number of positive characteristics. Their height does not exceed 20 centimeters, flowers multiply easily, are not afraid of droughts.
The scope of ground cover plants is the decoration of rock gardens and rocky gardens, slopes and fields. A good option is to plant near the sakura.
Popular ground cover varieties
A huge number of varieties of ground cover phlox are distinguished. But a number of them are most popular, due to their unique characteristics.
- Snowy (Ph. Nivalis). Differs in compactness and winter hardiness. The color of flowers is from pink to orange. There are also white flowers with a dark eye.
- Subulate (Ph. Subulata). The most common variety among creeping phlox. In appearance it resembles moss.
- Douglas (Ph. Douglasii). In height, the plant reaches no more than 10 centimeters. The main distinguishing feature is a dense pad of hard stems. The color of the flowers is from lilac to dark purple, there are white flowers with a dark eye. Flowering occurs in May, repeated in late summer.
- Bifurcated (Ph. Bifida). Has hard leaves and pubescent stems. The color of the flowers varies from blue to white. The petals are cut, so it seems that there are 10, not 5, of them.
Features of loose phlox
Flowering of loose-bearing varieties occurs immediately after the ground cover. The most common phlox, which is unpretentious. One of the most beautiful species is table-bearing. The variety grows rapidly, so it is actively used in landscape design. All forest phloxes bloom profusely and are resistant to temperature changes.
- Stolonofolny (Ph. Stolonifera). Differs in unpretentiousness, develops quickly, thanks to stolons, rooted in nodes. If the soil is rich, flowering plants will be plentiful. On the meager ground, good flowers should not be expected. The color of the petals varies from pink to white.
- Pressed (Ph. X procumbens). It has pinkish flowers, develops inactive, the height of the bush is about 30 cm. It prefers nutritious and loose soils. The most famous form is 'Variegata'.
- Adsurgens (Ph. Adsurgens). Due to the presence of large flowers, the variety looks very elegant. The plant prefers nutritious and well-drained soils.
- Splayed (Ph. Divaricata). It has lush and delicate flowers, during the flowering of which it seems that the bush looks like a cloud. The color of the petals is different - from blue to white. The plant feels good on any soil, except too dry or waterlogged.
Features of bush phlox
Shrub species are ideal for shaded and wet areas. They can be stunted - up to a meter, and tall - more than a meter in height. Shrub flowers take root perfectly in Russia, as they feel good on acidic soils. Varietal variety of the species is very wide.
Tall Bush Phlox
- Windsor Tall plant - up to 1.5 m tall, leaves elongated, oval, fragrant flowers. The color of the petals varies from white to carmine. The flower prefers to be in sunny and cool places.
- Natasha (NATASCHA). Erect perennial, capable of growing up to 1.5 meters. The leaves are oval, the flowers can have a different color - from white to blue. The variety does not like hot areas, prefers fresh soil.
- Nicky It is the darkest of phloxes. In height, the plant can reach 1.2 meters. Perennial upright, blooms from June to September.
- Tenor In height reaches one meter, the diameter of the flower is 3 centimeters. The color of the petals is bright - purple-red, lush flowering, mainly in autumn. The stems of the plant are strong, the foliage is narrow.
- Magic Blue (MagicBlue).Herbaceous perennial, reaching 150 centimeters in height. The leaves are oval, the flowers can be white, lilac, scarlet, blue. The plant blooms from June to September. The coloring is original, the upper part of the stems has a dark shade.
We also offer you to learn about the features of preparing phlox for the winter.
- Sherbet Cocktail. It grows rapidly and rapidly, reaching a height of 80 centimeters. Has the original color of flowers - olive-colored edges. Powdery mildew plant rarely affected.
- Tiara It has a very attractive color - snow-white flowers against a background of emerald greenery. An interesting arrangement of inflorescences gives a feeling of terry plants. "Tiara" differs in unpretentiousness in leaving, is not subject to emergence of diseases.
- Orange Perfection. It has a rare color - salmon-orange petals. In the bright sun, the flowers look pink. The plant blooms late, reaches a height of no more than 80 centimeters.
- Twister Compact panicled phlox with white flowers with pink stripes. The plant reaches a height of 55 centimeters, the diameter of the flowers is 3.5 centimeters.
- Success (Uspech). It grows to 80 centimeters, flowering medium term. The color of the flowers is rich purple, in the center is a white star. The shape of the flower is wheel-shaped, the development of phlox is rapid.
- Dragon (Drakon). The height of the plant reaches 90 centimeters, the diameter of the flower is 4 centimeters. The color of the petals is purple-violet, in the central part of the flower is a purple star. The bush is winter-hardy, strong, resistant to disease.
- Pokrovsky Baron (Pokrovskij Baron). The variety of Oksana Kudryavtseva is 65 centimeters high and has purple flowers. In the central part of the petals there is a slight lightening. The bush is compact, resistant to adverse weather conditions.
- Elena (Yelena). Low-growing variety, characterized by large and dense inflorescences. The color of the petals is raspberry, smooth.
- JEFF BLUE (Latin Jeff's Blue). Panicled phlox of short stature with cone-shaped bluish flowers. The diameter of the flowers is 3 centimeters. The height of the bush is 60 centimeters, the flowering period is average.
- Black Sea (Phlox paniculata). Panicled phlox, bred by P.G. Gaganov in 1956. The color of the petals is purple, there is a brightening in the central part and a purple eye. In the evening, the flower appears blue, the inflorescence is medium in size.
- Cool Best (Cool Best). The plant reaches a height of 60 centimeters. The color of the flowers is delicate, lilac, the color is even. This perennial is considered one of the most decorative, flowering for a long time. At the same time, the variety is unpretentious and resistant to even severe frosts.
Of the bush phloxes, it is also worth noting such varieties as the "Swan Princess", "Julia" and bred by Zhanna Glekova. All presented varieties are distinguished by a long flowering period and high decorative qualities.
Phlox: reproduction (video)
Photogallery of phlox species
In total, there are more than 60 types of phlox in the world. Nevertheless, only 4 species are actively used in Russia, 3 of which are perennials. Plants are divided into varieties depending on the color and shape of the flowers, type and size of the bush. Flowering also varies and can go from mid-April to autumn.