We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Fedor asks us: "Why does the cherry not bear fruit?"
This phenomenon can be explained by several factors, including the pollination characteristics of this stone fruit and the conditions for its cultivation.
- Novice gardeners should know that they will receive the first harvest from the cherry five to seven years after its planting. In full force, the tree bears fruit after 10-12 years.
- Most varieties of this fruit crop are self-infertile, that is, they need a close proximity of pollinating plants. To achieve maximum dustiness, plant at least three varieties of cherries in the garden, the flowering of which will coincide in timing.
- You can intersperse cherries with cherries on the plot, having acquired the axiom: cherries always pollinate cherries, cherries never. True, pollination in cherry trees is much more successful than in cherry trees. Therefore, the cherry bears fruit more intensively.
- "People’s Syubarova" - this is the name of the self-fertile sweet cherry variety. Experienced summer residents are well aware of partially self-fertile varieties - "Ovstuzhenka" and "Iput". But self-fertile and partially self-fertile cultures from cross-pollination only benefit, bringing more fruits of excellent taste.
By the way, it is Iput and Chermashnaya that are considered universal pollinators for all sweet cherries in central Russia.
Why does not bear fruit
Bad weather during flowering trees also does not contribute to high yields. Pollinating insects are afraid of dampness and coolness, and pollen loses its "child-bearing" properties in intense heat.
Cherry tree does not bear fruit if you did not fertilize the earth on time. Proper feeding looks like this:
- in the fall, 70 g of potash and 200 g of phosphorus fertilizers are applied;
- in the spring - urea (70 g);
- as soon as the cherry blossoms, it is watered with water (10 l) with superphosphate (25 g), potassium chloride (15 g) and urea (15 g);
- two weeks later, the tree is "fed" with this solution again.
Cherries grow well on fertile lands of neutral acidity, but they do not like waterlogged soil and lack of air for the roots.
An overly dense crown is another enemy of productivity: cherries need sunlight. It is necessary to get rid of the affected, dried branches and those that grow inside the crown.
It is also possible to increase the yield of cherry planting by healing the wounds, whitewashing the trunks and methodically destroying garden pests.
Must remember that cherries are not particularly winter-hardy and often do not bear fruit due to freezing of the kidneys.
After reading the corresponding article on our resource, you can find out how pruning apricots and cherries is carried out.
In recent years, breeders have bred several cherry varieties that give delicious berries and have high resistance to frost.
- The sweetest, mid-late ripening - Veda, "Revna", Sinyavskaya, "Rossoshanskaya Golden".
- A bit more acidic, but also very juicy - "Pink Pearls", "Leningrad Black", "Bryansk pink","Compact Venyaminova", "Venus", Fatezh, "Diana".
- The most frost-resistant and no less tasty -"Glory to Zhukov" and "Yuliya".
Cherry top dressing
And a little advice for those who did not have time to plant cross-pollinators on the site for their sweet cherry. Try to find a flowering pollinator branch and place it in a bucket of water near the blooming cherry. Perhaps soon you will be pleased with the first cherry berries.